Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Dreams That Come True and Dreams That Don't

That's me at 12 years old in my Myers' Food Rite, number 12 uniform. I was proud to have this picture taken. I'll never forget walking down the street of my hometown in my first opening day parade either. I felt like I had reached the pinnacle of 12 year old success.

I had dreams of being a good or even great baseball player. Just once I wanted to hit a "walk-off" homerun or strike out the other team's best hitter to end the game. Unfortunately, I did neither of these fantastic feats.

I also had dreams for the pro teams I rooted for. In 1978, I wanted the Red Sox to beat the Yankees in the one game playoff. They didn't. In 1986, I wanted the Red Sox to beat the Mets in the World Series. They didn't. I wanted the Red Sox to beat the Yankees in the 2003 ALCS. They didn't. I wanted the Dodgers to beat the Yankees in the World Series of 1977 and 1978. They didn't. (Is there a reason I always pick teams who struggle with the Yankees? There might be, but I'm not sure if I want to know what it is). But in1981, the Dodgers did beat the Yankees in the World Series and then, finally, 23 YEARS LATER, the Red Sox did beat the Yankees and went on to beat the Cardinals in the 2004 World Series.

Funny thing is, it didn't make much of a difference in my life. Oh sure, it was fun rooting for them and watching them jump all over each other after they won. But I got up the next morning as the same personas the day before. I had a good life with my family and my friends before and after the Red Sox won the World Series.

I think I'm learning a lesson now. I'm learning to have dreams that change my life by making it better. I've discovered that Jesus really meant it when He said, "I have come that you may have life and have it to the full." I have discovered that learning to live in Jesus' kingdom is the good life. I am learning that being good and doing good like Jesus is the most beautiful way to live. My dream now is to learn to live more and more faithfully with Jesus as my king and with a longing for His kingdom to come in its fullness.

This is a dream that makes my life better and even more joyfully, makes the lives of those around me better. This is the dream I want to come true. This is the dream I know will come true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home